Skip to main content

Once Upon A Bike Man

On my way home sometime last week, I stopped this bike-man and told me how much he’ll charge so we haggled. We eventually concluded that I’d pay 80 naira instead of the 100 naira he asked for with the condition that he’d pick up someone else. I was cool with that. He tried picking up someone else but the person wanted to pay 70 naira instead of the 80 naira he was charging me. I thought it was a good deal because he’d get to get something rather than stand the chance of no one else going towards our direction therefore getting only 80 naira instead of 150. It was simple mathematics and common sense to me but he refused to see it that way.

It was an ‘integrity issue’ like one of my friends would say. He didn’t want to stray away from what he said or purposed in his heart. He wanted it his way or no other way regardless of what he stood to lose or gain. I’ve heard people say stuff like ‘I’d rather go hungry than ask him for money’ and many more statements relating to that. It sounds like pride but if you think again, you’d see a very determined person who isn’t willing to bend regardless of what’s at stake.


If we used that kind of determination to pursue our goals in life, we’ll probably be in a better place right now than we currently are. A lot of us determine to stop certain things from happening and we put all our hard-work into making sure it stays that way but sadly, we don’t use the same kind of determination to plan our life, the outcome we want et al. We would rather quit, bend, compromise at times when we should put in our 100 percent.

My point? Put your heart to something and do everything to make it work within your power. Understand that whatever result you get from it directly affects you first before it affects anything or anyone else in your life. Eliminate all ‘what if it doesn’t work?’ and focus on ‘what if it does?’

Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Instagram - @i_am_phleg
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2BC07AB1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb