Skip to main content

Colour


Who could have thought that Tunde, the bike man, would get his bike snatched from him by his passengers just this morning, this morning eh? He had just carried them from the junction to a destination he wasn’t too familiar with but he was going to ‘rough’ it. The ‘scope’ a lot of bike men uses to avoid losing their potential clients. He knew something was wrong when everywhere seemed quiet and deserted, that was when he told them he wasn’t going anymore. They agreed and got off his bike only to give him the beating of his life and left with his bike. He didn’t know how he got to the bus-stop. All he knew was that he was on the floor telling his story in tears to people hoping a good Samaritan was listening. He had his wife in the hospital and was hoping he’d make some money before evening to pay up part of her bills. He even had an outstanding debt of 500k which he had been paying in 50ks; he had paid just twice when the bike was taken - his only means of livelihood. He was a father, husband, and debtor.
 
When the internet feels your pain too...


Who could have thought that you’d lose your brother, only brother whom you had just hung out with the night before he died? To think that he died of headache, ordinary headache or so it seemed. Headache you have constantly and remain unmoved now killed your brother. What do you blame it on? Your brother, for welcoming the headache? Headache, for visiting your brother? Death, for being cruel? Life, for being mysterious? Or yourself, for not having the headache as a guest instead knowing it has been your companion? He had his whole life ahead of him considering the fact that he had just completed his first degree and was heading to the abroad to further his studies. Yeah of course, going to the abroad might not seem like a big deal but for Henry, it had been a lifelong dream so you alongside your parents made sure it happened. Loans, denying yourself from some of life’s pleasure just to make a brother’s dream come true. It happens and just a week before he finally leaves for the abroad, he’s dead. Now you have to deal with the loss, and debts. Maybe life is indeed a pot of beans as they say. You don’t even know what it means but all you know is, life isn’t fair.

Sigh
Life can be confusing a lot of times. One minute you’re celebrating a promotion, the next minute you’re mourning a loved one. Rich people commit suicide and you wonder why when all you need to make your life better is just a few millions. You just wonder why certain things happen at the time they do. Who made the rules? You ask, hoping you could have a word or two with whoever it is. You’re left with only one choice – survive, live each day as it comes and be grateful for everything (good or bad).



Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Instagram - @aanusol
Twitter - @odusolar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb