Skip to main content

The Scrubbing Stone


Living in Lagos is a skill, that's what everyone is shouting. Even those who aren't living in Lagos are shouting and I'm just there like what? Biko shut up already before I...well, what can I do? I can barely help myself right now. Would have been easy if I could go back home but I can't even. Imagine oh, I left home by 12. I work as a customer service officer for wekofoam. On this day, I lied to fam that I had work meanwhile it was my off day. The plan was to go to Gbola’s place. Gbola was bae at the time so it was a love inspired trip. I stayed at a place called Enilolobo meaning ‘the person who went is the person who came back’. Whoever made those names though and it wasn't even a Lagos place. It was somewhere like 10 minutes from where actual Lagos started from my end - Ishaga. My afternoon shift usually starts at 2pm so I leave home by 11:30 to join the bus by 12. So I left around that same time on this fake work day. I had no cash so I planned to use the atm. On getting there, network was bad and the bank was far. I was stranded. I couldn't go back home because I had no transport and no one was home plus how would I explain why I didn't go to work anymore. Long journey abeg so I decided to take shortcut. I called Gbola immediately to explain the situation, he began to sound like someone who didn’t understand English and I had no chill at the time. I just called two other friends to help with an urgent transfer of 1k each to my other account that had a branch where I was. I'm sure you're probably wondering why I didn't ask Gbola to send it. Gbola was the last person I wanted to talk to considering the weight of his offense. I needed to give him a piece of my mind though. I entered the bus to Agege from Fagba where I got cash then entered the bus to Ojuelegba. Gbola warned me not to enter it “straight” as it takes a longer time but I wasn't in the mood to listen to his advice. Agege to Ikeja didn't take time but from Ikeja to Ojuelegba, I had slept and woken up a lot of times. It made me miss those days when bikes were everywhere, I'm sure I'd have gotten there before Gbola gets to say 'baby, I...'


Allow me to rewind to five years before Gbola, I was an intern somewhere in Ikeja. 3 months internship. Two of my school mates were interning there as well so it was fun for me and I hardly went home by 4 when we closed. We hung out a bit around then went our separate ways. I wasn't even bothered about being late because there were bikes to make up for the time I'll spend in traffic. On one of those days, I took a bike to Enilolobo from Agege. I met this guy called Omotola whose number I eventually saved as Omotola bike mate. 'Yes I've sent the money, I'm going to Ghana next week. Yes oh, my passport is ready. Yeah 300k or so, it's cheap sha' were his responses on the phone. Forming Ghana what what. If you see him ehn, short thing with a head bigger than his body. He started a conversation and I indulged him so he'll pay my transport (no dulling abeg). Turned out he stayed not far from me so he wanted us to go and come back together every day. He even insisted that I saved his number with dear, I'm like what? Of course I didn't say that. He first asked what I saved his name with, told him his name. He wanted to see but I refused. Didn't want to break his fake heart.


One thing I like about Lagos is that you can be whatever you want to be. There are opportunities everywhere, at least from my experience. Might not pay you much but you'll get something to stress you sha. I could have been an actress now if I took the chance then but if you were me, you probably wouldn't want to. The chance sat beside me in a BRT from Oshodi to Obalende. She looked like something out of an Enilolobo jamb lesson, if you know, you know. Only with fake lashes, artificial nails and synthetic hair. When she spoke, I had to look around me to be sure I was the one being addressed. She asked if I'd love to be an actress. I said I didn't mind out of curiosity. Her English ehn, may God help us. She could be acting in pidgin sha. Forgot to tell you that she was also chewing gum as she spoke. I looked at her baked face that was more make up than actual face. She told me her name was Kelele. I mean who names their kids Kelele. Maybe it means something like 'my lord shall make me wise' but what do I know? She gave me her number and insisted I called her so she'll save mine. I told her I had no airtime but I'd call her because I've always been looking for the opportunity to be like her. Me that cannot hold Mike for testimony. Kelele and I went our separate ways. I was very happy because now I can gist you about it.


I still don't know how people get fat in Lagos, like how do you do it with all the stress you're living in. The mental, physical and emotional stress that doesn't even necessarily lead to financial independence. What's the point biko? See, I'm a well trained child. I mean correct home training, respect and all but in Lagos, I have to drop my home training at home when going out because #shineyoureyes. If you're not careful, you've sold your generation. Computer village is a magical place, a lot of magical stuff happen there and I'm speaking abracadabra magic.  How do those guys do it. You buy a phone, test it and pay only for you to get home and meet a scrubbing stone carved in the form of a phone in your package. At least it happened to me. An experience I can never forget. I had been saving for this phone for a long time. I had just finished secondary school then. I hustled 10k from all the errands I had been sent for like 3 months. My bestie then Kike gave me 3k making it 13k. It was her idea though, everyone was on 2go except me. I was dying everyday until kike brought up the idea. She asked me to hustle 10k and she'll add 3k. Friends of life. She actually held up her part of the bargain. We went together on this fateful day. We were supposed to be attending jamb lesson but we left for computer village. On getting there, we saw a lot of guys dragging us from left to right. We didn't even know where to go until one guy came to us. He told us we could be scammed if we bought from any other person apart from him so we did the most sensible thing we thought. We bought from him. I still have my scrubbing stone till this day. 


Tell us your funny experiences in Lagos, we want to laugh...hehe


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Instagram - @aanusol
Twitter - @odusolar



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb