Skip to main content

Monday Morning

She woke around 2am for no reason..oh there was one, she remembered. She had slept very early the previous night and her body was ready to be awake. Unfortunately for her body, she wanted to sleep because she was supposed to officially wake up by six and she couldn't think of any thing to do to keep her awake till six that won't end up messing up her 'ginger' for the day. She was sure she needed enough sleep to withstand the day's pressure.


She picked up her phone and replied the messages she had slept off on. She remembered she had told her ex to call the previous night and he had but she was so sleepy she couldn't remember what they talked about. She decided to call him back. One of the things she missed about him was that he was the only person she could call at any time of the day to talk to. He was an insomniac just like her until she got this very stressful job of looking for clients from all over the state to patronize the sales of mouringa leaves. The job sounded shitty but it paid her bills so she stayed with it.


She called the ex some minutes past 2am. He didn’t sound sleepy, he was ready to talk to her. Ever ready. They talked about random stuff. He said he missed her food. She replied ‘pele’ since she wasn’t sure he’d eat her food again anytime soon. She didn’t want to give him false hope. He told her he had gotten his own apartment and she was proud of him. She didn’t express her pride though. They talked for another ten minutes about general stuff and she decided to end the call. She would have loved to continue the conversation but she didn’t want him to get any ideas. Ideas about them getting back together or something like that. She just missed him as her friend. She told him so.


After the call, she sat on her bed thinking about nothing and everything. Her sitting gradually turned into laying fully on the bed cuddling her teddy bear with the duvet covering them from the not-so-cold weather. She thought about her teddy bear; what if her teddy could talk? Would they be best friends? Would she throw it away? Would it be male or female because she wasn’t even sure of the gender of her cat-like teddy bear? She remembered ted - the movie but she wasn’t sure she wanted same thing.



What if an evil spirit entered her teddy bear like chucky - the movie? That wouldn’t be nice at all, she thought. She threw her teddy bear on the floor. She planned to throw away her teddy bear the next day especially now that she was having funny thoughts about it. She had to discard it real fast. ‘Not so fast’ she heard a thick male voice say. Startled, she paused then looked out the window to see if anyone was out there. ‘Its all in my head’ she thought. ‘No its not’ the voice came again. She began to look around with her phone in her hand ready to call someone for help until she saw it, she saw him. It was her teddy bear, eyes shining, looking at her with his arms akimbo. Last thing she heard was her own voice screaming ‘help'



Twitter >> @odusolar
Facebook >> Aanuoluwapo Odusola
Instagram >> @aanusol

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb