Skip to main content

Walls

I was reading ‘what the dog saw’ (its first few pages) and I decided to write about something that I totally had no interest in. Something that didn’t fascinate me. I just wanted to see how far I can go with this and also try something quite new. Anyway, while thinking about it, I was staring at the wall in front of me and I thought, lets talk about walls. So inner me says, yeah, lets do this then I’m asking ‘what about walls is going to interest you?’



I began to imagine what the first people to build walls were thinking of when they built their first wall. I don’t know how old walls are but I’m grateful for walls. Imagine you and your family had to share a big house with the neighbors and the each family knew their boundaries by footstep measurements, it definitely won’t be great at all. If your bathroom had no wall separating it from the kitchen and your room was not separate from your parents’ or kids’, not funny yeah? I know right!

The need for that physical demarcation is probably why the physical demarcation has advanced into emotional demarcation. How would it be if everyone could hear your thoughts without you saying them aloud? Not nice, no? There are a lot of things we don’t say aloud, we say them in our minds only. We mentally kill people sometimes though they remain alive physically. It is a good thing that people can only see as much as we’re willing to show them and even when they seem to see through us, its as a result of walls that aren’t strong enough.

The unfortunate part in this is that there are some people we should break down our walls for but instead, some of us leave the walls as high as it can get. We should allow some people who deserve it to see through our walls while some people should not even be able to peep through talk less of coming in.

Anyway, I’ll stop here. I hope you’ve learnt a thing or two from this.



Twitter >> @odusolar
Facebook >> Aanuoluwapo Odusola
Instagram >> @aanusol

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb