Skip to main content

The Ticket


"Good afternoon oh"
"Good afternoon sir"
The bank teller collected the withdrawal ticket he stretched forth towards her and checked the application needed to verify if he was indeed the one. Verifying that, she went ahead to attempt to debit his ticket but it bounced back because his account didn't have the amount he requested.

"Are you expecting cash?" she asked. That was a stylish way of telling him he didn't have the cash in account. He nodded in the affirmative. She felt sorry for him not because of his balance because that was something she saw happen every day, she only felt sorry because he looked like he really needed the cash. The smiling expression on his face turned straight as soon as she broke the news.

Few days later, he came again with the same ticket. She didn't bother verifying his signature and photograph as she was still yet to get over the other day's event. "Ekaasan sir" she greeted him in yoruba trying to be more friendly, he answered with a wide smile. "Did the person later send it?" she asked. "Beeni" he said. Relieved, she went ahead to attempt to debit again and it bounced back. "It seems the person hasn't sent it oh", she informed him like the last time. He was braver this time as the smile slowly disappeared rather than disappearing suddenly. He left again, without his cash.

She wished she had the cash because she wasn't happy with how he left disappointed. Unfortunately for her, she had no cash too otherwise she would have just given him and pretended as if the person had paid. That was her thought and plan in the event that he came again another day and the same thing happened.
He went to her again some weeks later which was exactly a week after her pay day. He didn't first go to her probably out of shame. He queued in front of her colleague and as soon as she noticed him standing there. She greeted him and beckoned on him to come to her. She checked his account history this time and saw that there had been no cash inflow in a while. She asked again, "Are you expecting cash?" "Has he not sent it?" he replied with his expression saying "no, not again". "He has" she replied and paid him the N1400 he wrote on the same ticket he presented.
He wanted to tip her with 200 from it but she refused, she was sure he needed it more than she did, or at least he looked like he did. Even the 'ever ready to hype you to drop a tip' security refused to take his tip when he offered, he wanted it but he felt it wasn't appropriate considering how much he withdrew and needed the cash.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Instagram - @aanusol
Twitter - @odusolar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb