Skip to main content

The Ticket


"Good afternoon oh"
"Good afternoon sir"
The bank teller collected the withdrawal ticket he stretched forth towards her and checked the application needed to verify if he was indeed the one. Verifying that, she went ahead to attempt to debit his ticket but it bounced back because his account didn't have the amount he requested.

"Are you expecting cash?" she asked. That was a stylish way of telling him he didn't have the cash in account. He nodded in the affirmative. She felt sorry for him not because of his balance because that was something she saw happen every day, she only felt sorry because he looked like he really needed the cash. The smiling expression on his face turned straight as soon as she broke the news.

Few days later, he came again with the same ticket. She didn't bother verifying his signature and photograph as she was still yet to get over the other day's event. "Ekaasan sir" she greeted him in yoruba trying to be more friendly, he answered with a wide smile. "Did the person later send it?" she asked. "Beeni" he said. Relieved, she went ahead to attempt to debit again and it bounced back. "It seems the person hasn't sent it oh", she informed him like the last time. He was braver this time as the smile slowly disappeared rather than disappearing suddenly. He left again, without his cash.

She wished she had the cash because she wasn't happy with how he left disappointed. Unfortunately for her, she had no cash too otherwise she would have just given him and pretended as if the person had paid. That was her thought and plan in the event that he came again another day and the same thing happened.
He went to her again some weeks later which was exactly a week after her pay day. He didn't first go to her probably out of shame. He queued in front of her colleague and as soon as she noticed him standing there. She greeted him and beckoned on him to come to her. She checked his account history this time and saw that there had been no cash inflow in a while. She asked again, "Are you expecting cash?" "Has he not sent it?" he replied with his expression saying "no, not again". "He has" she replied and paid him the N1400 he wrote on the same ticket he presented.
He wanted to tip her with 200 from it but she refused, she was sure he needed it more than she did, or at least he looked like he did. Even the 'ever ready to hype you to drop a tip' security refused to take his tip when he offered, he wanted it but he felt it wasn't appropriate considering how much he withdrew and needed the cash.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Instagram - @aanusol
Twitter - @odusolar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Says There Are No Pervs In Church?

Dear OTTH readers, how are we? I spent my weekend resting and going through dorisaniunoh.blogspot.com, you know as a writer, one shouldn't depend on themselves, so every now and then, I go through other blogs because not only do I learn a lot from them, they also inspire me to write something. I love reading from Doris' blog because like me, she writes real life stuff, something I could actually relate to not how Davido got robbed and the likes. I've been meaning to write about this in a while but procrastination won't let me but today I have bound the spirit hence here it is. I'm certain we all know who a perv is but just incase we don't, perv is the shortform for the word "pervert" and it refers to someone who's sexually obsessed according to Google and that's about what it means so I guess we all get the picture and we'd understand better as we proceed. I've always thought pastors would at least act like pastors no matter the tempt...

Na From Clap, Dance Dey Start

Good morning my loves, welcome to 2016. This is our first post this year so I’m supposed to be very excited but the issue I want to discuss is not one that gives room for such excitement. Of course, I’m excited that you can read this right now, that you came all the way from 2015 into 2016. It wasn’t an easy trip but we’re all here finally. Thank you so much for your love. Now to the business of the day. In a world of women and men, yes I put women first because I’m a woman just in case you were wondering why or maybe you didn’t even notice, the fate of a woman depends on the woman not the man and this is no merlin line. I’m really hurt right now and I’m too hurt to not speak up. I’m not a romantic person for reasons I don’t know but for some reason I’m grateful for it. I’m saying this because I’ve seen what people call love in action and it makes me wonder if it really is love. I’m not going to dispute the fact that I’ve also made my mistakes, I mean, we all have our stupid moments ...

The Hustle Of Many Colors

We are all "hustlers" before we become "chillers" whether we want to admit it or not. Some of us are in the corporate world, some on the streets, some in market places and some are in places I can't name. Some of us are dressed in suits, some in rags, some are dressed casually while some are dressed in clothes I can't even classify under any of the aforementioned categories. When I see people put up pictures saying "Lord bless my hustle" or "Oluwa bless my hustle", I just say 'amen' on behalf of whoever put up the picture. I'm very emotional right now because I've seen hustle at its peak. I remember entering a bus somewhere, I was the only passenger in the bus. The conductor did everything possible to get more passengers but all his efforts proved abortive. The driver then said "sorry aunty, we no dey go, we no see passenger" and I had to go with another bus. I could see the disappointment on his face, I wished...