Skip to main content

To Those Who Have Trust Issues...

I started writing this article last month but there was no inspiration to continue until now,I'm stuck in traffic and I decided to make judicious use of the two hours or more of my life wasting in traffic knowing I won't get it back. I hope you're not in traffic while reading this but if you are, the Lord is your strength. Let's proceed anyways.

Some of us don't trust ourselves, I mean, how do you do that? You not trusting you very own self, that's why we hear people say "I don't even trust myself" and then you expect someone who doesn't trust him or herself to trust you? How? Is it not what you have that you'd extend towards others?

Some of us don't just trust others even when it comes to the tiniest of issues. We don't trust others to make decisions for themselves and sometimes we don't even trust them enough to make suggestions concerning anything related to us. It gets even worse with some people that they can't even introduce their friends to each other or allow that person accompany them to functions or important places.
Having trust issues didn't just start in one day, it was stemmed out of certain life experiences of either ourselves or others which we have chosen not to totally forget consciously or unconsciously and it influences our relationships with others either positively or negatively.

This issue of trust plays a very vital role in our lives, believe me, I know what I'm talking about so I'm going to talk about three categories of relationships that suffer from trust issues.

Between Parents and Children
Most parents don't trust their kids though they won't admit it but that's what it really looks like sometimes. They believe their kids would turn out either the way they did or like the other kids they don't want their kids to be like hence home becomes a prison to the kids. I'm not a parent yet but I'm a disciplinarian so I won't support allowing children doing as they wish but I believe you should cut them some slack. When your son is not home shouldn't mean he's out drinking and smoking, when your daughter isn't picking her phone doesn't mean she's out there making out with someone or whatever thought that comes to your mind. It's normal for you to not want your children to make the mistakes you made while growing up but there should be a better way you can go about it other than locking them up in the house or suspecting every move they make when they're out of your sight. Have you seen kids who grew up restricted from even the tiniest movements just because their parents don't want them joining bad gangs and all? The truth is, those kids turn out to be wayyy worse than the ones that were allowed to go out at least a bit. What parents don't know is that no matter how you tie children down or restrict them from doing whatever, it only makes them smarter because they always find a way out of no way. They can do everything you don't want them to do right under your nose and you won't even realise it. In your superior mind, you have the best children, ever obedient bla bla while your neighbours who allows their children go out are just terrible parents but look at the how those kids turn out eventually and look at yours then you'd see that it's not about what they do when you're around, it's what they do when you're out of sight. This isn't to say that you should let your kids do what they like as they could misuse the opportunity but remember you're not omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent so what I'll suggest is follow what the bible said in the book of proverbs (I don't know the exact verse and chapter) which said "train up a child in the way (s)he should go and when (s)he's old, (s)he won't depart from it."

Between Couples
This goes to either married or unmarried couples. People barely trust their partners in this generation and it gets even worse with more technology, more social networks etc. I hear people say stuff like "I don't know what he/she is doing where he/she is" (for couples who stay far from each other) probably because of your past experience or that of your friend or something you even heard somewhere so as a result you decided not to put all your eggs in one basket. You called your girlfriend and she was sounding sleepy but because you believe normal people shouldn't be sleeping at 12noon, you concluded that she was doing something something. You as the lady calls him and he picked the phone but you heard voices of other females at the background and you concluded that he was flirting with someone. It even gets to the extent that couples check each other's messages and even stalk their partners on their social networks just to makes sure they aren't competing with anyone. I won't blame us, yes, I said us because it happens to most of us, infact, most of the ones who trust the most discover that their partners has done or is doing the most unexpected so we take the lesson into our next relationship #oncebittentwiceshy. Two things I believe in when it comes to issues of trust and relationship is;

>Trust your partner until he or she proves you wrong,

>If long distance isn't your thing, you shouldn't be into it in the first place and if it wasn't a long distance relationship when it started and it turned out to be for one reason or another, end the relationship or try to trust your partner because constantly wondering about what your partner is doing in your absence is dangerous to your health so it's healthy if you don't dwell on those thoughts or just call it quits. Whatever works for you as long as you stay alive because no one will date your corpse.

It's adviceable however for people who want to get married someday to learn to trust their partners because if you can't trust him or her while at work then you still won't if (s)he's out of the state or country. If you're married and you have trust issues, the same applies. Trust until proven otherwise.

Between Friends
This is a crucial part of this topic because if you don't have a partner or parents, you must have friends. Even if you don't have a lot, you would have one or two people you can trust if you don't have trust issues. You might not know your friend inside-out 100 percent but your friend should be someone who comes in when the world goes out, someone you can rely on no matter the situation. If that friend acts the opposite, I won't blame you for having trust issues. Some people take advantage of their friends at the slightest opportunity they have but it's not nice, even I won't take that from anyone and that's why most people begin to suspect every friend they have. He gives your girlfriend a handshake and you're already thinking of plenty things meanwhile he was just being friendly but because of your other friend that slept with your ex, you've learnt your lesson, same for the females too. If you don't trust your friends with any of your dealings, don't tell them about it instead of telling them and wondering what they might do with the information. Also, if you don't trust your friend with your boyfriend or girlfriend, try not to let them know each other but then again, a partner who'll cheat will cheat whether with your friend or not.

I'm home already so I'd have to freshen up and all but always remember, trust until the person proves you wrong and try not to carry your hurt into your next relationship whether it's with your child, spouse or friend.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2ACA8612



Comments

shorellhz said…
nice post.. I grabbed some ideas
..so great!

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb