Skip to main content

Public Transport In Lagos; My Experience



Good Morning Dear OTTH Readers, I hope we’re fine this morning? We should be fine since it’s almost the end of the week so we can rest from the stress of the week and even chill out or turn up. I was going to tell us a throwback story today since its throwback Thursday but something serious happened on Monday so I said I would write about it instead and keep my throwback story for later. Before now, I’ve told myself and God and I still keep telling God that I don’t want to take public transport when I’m pregnant and even when I have kids because what I experience as a single person isn’t something I want my unborn and born children to experience.  I don’t want my children to take public transport until they are grown enough to handle the hustle and bustle of Lagos (if I’m based in Lagos when I have kids). Dear future husband, please note; NO PUBLIC TRANSPORT WHEN I START HAVING KIDS. 
 Here’s my story……

On Monday, on my way back home from work through public transport, the bus I entered was filled with mostly women with some of their kids with them, about five kids from my estimation. There was serious traffic jam as is the norm when you’re driving in Lagos so my bus driver decided to pass through short-cuts and there’s nothing wrong with that. Personally, I’m not usually bothered about the routes bus drivers take as long as it will get me to my required destination. It was all fun and games driving through the short cut till the driver told one woman who was carrying her very troublesome child to alight somewhere that was quite far from her bus-stop without planning to return to her part of her transport fare. The woman refused to alight and all the other women in the bus supported her and some even took it upon themselves to attack the driver on her behalf. The driver didn’t even bulge, he just drove on and went even farther and farther. I had my ears plugged but the noise was penetrating so I had to pause my music for a while to listen to what the problem was just incase I needed to run, lol. That was when I heard everything that was going on, the women just kept insulting the driver and everything related to him. The driver eventually drove out to the main road from the short cuts then told the woman to drop, this time she did but the women expected the driver to give her at least 50 naira to get to her destination since she paid 120naira initially but the driver didn’t so they all rained curses on him and the woman left with her child.
After the woman alighted, another woman entered the bus innocently ignorant of the conflict at hand and almost immediately, the other women commanded her not to pay the driver and one even made it clear that if she made any attempt to pay, she’d collect the money from her and rip it to pieces. I was quite interested in the money tearing part though my ears were plugged but that part caught my interest. When the new woman was going to alight from the bus, she paid and I didn’t see anyone making any attempt to tear the money, easier said than done I guess. We continued on our journey safely until one of the woman who was leading the “coupe” wanted to alight, I think the driver had plans for her unknown to the rest of us. So she alighted and asked for her 30 naira change but he asked her to bring 20 naira to collect 50 naira and she said she didn’t have so the driver attempted to drive off without giving her the change but she entered the bus quickly and dragged all the money from the driver and tried to alight from the bus and the driver dared her to alight but she didn’t. I finally got to my bus-stop and alighted so the woman got down too and the driver did same then my bus-stop became a battle ground as they fought but I didn’t watch sha because I don’t watch fights except if its in a movie. I won’t let someone break my head or give me any scar no matter how little.
Secretly though, I wanted to know the end of the story but I just couldn’t. Well, the incident only made my decision towards not taking public transport when I get pregnant stronger because I cannot imagine going through this several times in a week. This is the end of my story. Have a nice weekend, byeeeeee.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2ACA8612


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb