Skip to main content

The Competition

I hate competing but I love watching competitions that has a sort of reward attached to it though I wouldn't compete even if I have what it takes. I believe everyone is a genius in something, you just have to find out what it is that lies within you and work hard to be good at it instead of trying to be better than someone else. In the real world though, people compete over things that are not worth the stress or maybe that's just what I think but what's the use of trying to look better than someone, drive a better car than someone, make more money than someone, even to the extent of trying to speak in tongues better than another person? What is the point? What happened to the idea of originality? It's becoming extinct now yea? Even if you have a role model you want to be like, does it mean you should lose yourself in the process?

It's tiring watching people lose themselves all in the name of trying to be like someone else. If you have something you admire about someone, does that mean you should make yourself a photocopy of them? It has even gotten to the extent where people just stay on their own then people start creating competitions on their behalf. That's when we see headlines like "who rocked it better, this or that?" I mean who does things like that, people just stay on their own, trying to look good for whatever reason they deem fit and someone somewhere will just start mixing two photos in the name of "who rocks it better".

I wouldn't blame us though because sometimes it's how we've been built. Parents constantly tell their children how Mr. B's child are better than them and the likes therefore making such child see Mr. B's child as an opponent he must defeat. He therefore tries to be better than Mr. B's child not because he wants to be a better person on his own but because he wants to prove that he can be better than the other.

Back in secondary school, there was this classmate of mine who was very intelligent (don't know if she still is), she used to come out tops in class and by tops I mean, first position only. There was this particular term that on getting our report cards, she burst into tears and I was wondering why so I went to meet her and asked why she was crying, with tears in her eyes she told me, "I came second" and I said "so, why are you now crying, me that I got seventh nko?" then she explained further to say her mum was going to beat her for being the second best and I'm like "Nawa o", that was all that could come to my mind then because who beats their child for being second?. If I came second, I know I'd be hugged so tight because I vividly remember when I was the seventh best in JSS 2, second term I guess, my mum dashed me money for doing well and it just made me want to do better so she would be proud of me, not that she put me under any kind of pressure to pass by force because God knows that that's when I won't even pass.
I don't know how people compete, I just don't know how because the only person I try to be better than is the person I was yesterday, not whoever someone else is. Maybe that's why I don't have a role model because I might admire some things about you but it doesn't mean I want to be like you. That's why I get amazed when people wants to be or get something just because someone is or has it, it's not that serious. How about carving a niche for yourself? Working on yourself so hard that you become someone's role model instead of just losing your originality in the course of trying to be better than another person who probably isn't noticing your efforts. On this note, I shall rest my case.

Stay original and don't forget that the only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2ACA8612

Comments

Paul Newton said…
Lovely one there....the Bible is one thing in use to keep myself intact with . it says we should be content with whosoever we are and whatsoever we have...God is rewarder of those who diligently seek him. Seek him first and every other thing will be added.


Despite all the hunt for who is better, what better thing have happened in their life outside looking good in the outside and rotten in the inside.

You've made a lot of points there, thank you Paul.

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb