Skip to main content

All Na Packaging;What I Learned From Lagos Drivers

Good morning Dear OTTH Readers, I hope we're fine because I'm great. Today I'm going to share with us something I learnt from a keke driver though not directly. We should always open our mind to learning and be very aware of our environment because we don't know when the lessons learned would be needed.

The other day, Wande told us(I and some colleagues) about the lady he met somewhere and they got talking till it led to what she does for a living and she said she was a sales consultant which sounded pretty impressive, I'm sure you think so too. So one day, he went to Shoprite and as he handed his money over to the cashier, guess who it was, the sales consultant. Many of us would have called ourselves sales girls and sales boys because isn't that what it is abi what's the point of sugarcoating the truth?

The truth is, packaging puts you on a higher stool that where you are really because you feel you're a sales consultant so your mind begins to function that way, it makes you talk like it, dress like it and act like it but as a sales girl/boy? Errrrrrnm not really, doesn't sound so attractive. When you even tell people that, the next thing on their mind is how to send you on an errand, or how to ask if you have plans of going to a tertiary institution because that just how it sounds.

Just when I was thinking that the Sales consultant story wasn't such a bigdeal afterall she was working with shoprite and shoprite is a "tush" place so its not so bad, I saw a conductor dressed in a multi-colored long-sleeved shirt, tucked in properly into a black pant with a nice belt and a shoe to match and I was wondering, really? When he first walked towards I and my friend, we were wondering "who's this one that want to turn conductor for someone else's bus?", you know all those oversabi people but no, he was the actual conductor, dressed like that, I was wow-ed.

And I saw another just when I was trying to get over the shock, a keke driver dress in dansiki and a nice pair of shoes but this time, I took a picture by force so it won't be as if I'm exaggerating. I was surprised and impressed because only a driver and a conductor with a sense above average would pull a stunt like that and no, there was nothing special going on that day, it was just a normal week day and I still saw the normal dunlop/rubber slippers-dirty/torn clothes-looking drivers and conductors so yes, it was just a normal day.
This very morning, I entered a bus with a very neatly dressed driver and a neatly dressed conductor with beards like that of one who belongs to #beardgang and you know how cute that is. He wore an ankara and a sandal to match not dunlop slippers. Tell me why I won't enter that kind of bus when the people who drive and conduct the bus look like people who think beyond their present condition.
All these just got me thinking about how true it is when people say "abeg, all na packaging" because it really is about packaging. The difference between a bend down boutique and an actual boutique is packaging, I'm sure we all know this. The packaging is the extra effort you put into anything you do. For instance, the bend down boutique owner buys the clothes and sell them without washing but the main boutique washes, irons, even makes a rack for the clothes, folds them properly, displays some outside looking all neat and sells them for five times the amount the bend down boutique would sell, if not more. I know there are boutiques who sell brand new stuff but I'm talking about the ones who tush up used clothes and sell it, they're the real ones who package.

That's why sometimes when someone sees you and says you're enjoying, you'd then tell the person "Nooo, it's packaging" meaning tht you've branded yourself in a way that'd make you look better than the way you should on a norm. We should always package no matter the situation we find ourselves because we don't know the kind of customers we can attract with our packaging. Having said all these, I need to ask you a question and the question is; how good is ur packaging?

Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2ACA8612

Comments

Anonymous said…
Lol nice one dear
Kennius Boggs said…
Well, I know packaging is important, but something it can be tiring to keep seeing the packaging and not the real quality stuff inside. But all in all, all na packaging... LOL.
All na still packaging joor and most times, it doesn't cost much to package. Thank you Kennius Boggs.

Popular posts from this blog

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb