Skip to main content

To Kneel Or Not To Kneel?

This is to my very romantic people, my very unromantic people like myself and my just-there people which means this is for everyone.  This write up was inspired by Shola who asked a group of us sometime ago about how we think a marriage proposal or better still how we want our marriage proposal to be for those of us who are unmarried. A colleague shared with us the story of how he proposed to his wife and I’m going to share it with us. According to him, he took his wife to a restaurant (he didn’t tell us if it was a five star restaurant though) so after a very nice meal, he proposed without kneeling, just across the table and she said yes.

The story triggered a lot of argument as to whether a man should or should not kneel to propose to his woman. Some people said it’s a must that the man should kneel since that has been the traditional way of marriage proposals and it won’t take anything from him. Some people were of the opinion that the kneeling makes it special and since he won’t do it twice, he could as well just do it the way it should be done so that when the gist is being told to others, it’ll sound romantic.

Some also said that it doesn’t matter how the proposal is done as long as its done at the end of the day so he could as well just throw the ring and say “esss, catch” shey? All na proposal na and it would still lead to marriage but some men wouldn’t want to kneel because to them its not their knee that is kneeling, its their ego while some don’t really care how its done as long as its done with love and respect.  Some men however wouldn’t go one one knee to propose not because they feel their pride is at stake but they just want to do something different.

I’ve heard about cases where the guy puts in on the pillow or inside his woman’s food or in her drink, you know the drill na, too much nollywood ba? But in Hollywood, the guy proposes then a band comes out of nowhere and starts singing a love song which is very "awwwwing" except if the lady says no in which case the guy would probably drink himself to death that day blah blah.
Personally, I’m not much of a romantic but I have my awwwwwwww moments so if you’re going to propose to me, whether you go on one knee or do it standing, just make it sexy and romantic because I want it to be an awwwwwwww story when I tell people or when people read about it. I like it sexy so if you won’t do it the cliché way, make sure you do it the sexy way so I can love you forever.

I know we are different people so we all have different pictures in our head regarding how to propose to our woman or how our man should propose to us, but please guys, no matter how gangster you and your partner is, don’t try the “essss! Catch” method because if you do ehn, well, don’t let me talk because we ladies are different from each other so we have a different reaction to things but my dear future husband, if you’re reading this, don’t say I’m not romantic so the better for you, please make it sexy and romantic if you want me to say yes the first time.
If you have any other proposal method in plan that hasn’t been mentioned here, please let us know, we just might learn something and other guys might learn about new proposal strategies. Don’t keep your ideas to yourself no matter how weird because conformity doesn’t apply to genuises.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2ACA8612

Comments

XPANCIATED EMMY said…
WOW! EXHILIRATING!! I FEEL MUTED. COS ISSUES REGARDING PROPOSALS HAS MADE MY MILK GONE SOUR. NYC PIECE, THO U MAK ME REMEMBER SOM UNPLEASANT MEMORIES....SO PARDON MY MUTENESS
Lol, you've said a lot so your unmuteness is appreciated. Thank You Expanciated.
Kennius Boggs said…
Well, this write up actually gave me some ideas on marriage proposals, and yes, I won't use the "eesss, catch abeg" technique. Too agberoish. Lol.
Lol @agberoish, better think up ideas o, as long as it's romantic. Thank you kennius.

Popular posts from this blog

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb