Skip to main content

The Hustle Of Many Colors

We are all "hustlers" before we become "chillers" whether we want to admit it or not. Some of us are in the corporate world, some on the streets, some in market places and some are in places I can't name. Some of us are dressed in suits, some in rags, some are dressed casually while some are dressed in clothes I can't even classify under any of the aforementioned categories.

When I see people put up pictures saying "Lord bless my hustle" or "Oluwa bless my hustle", I just say 'amen' on behalf of whoever put up the picture. I'm very emotional right now because I've seen hustle at its peak. I remember entering a bus somewhere, I was the only passenger in the bus. The conductor did everything possible to get more passengers but all his efforts proved abortive. The driver then said "sorry aunty, we no dey go, we no see passenger" and I had to go with another bus. I could see the disappointment on his face, I wished I had enough money to pay for the empty seats just to put a smile on his face.

The same thing happened some days ago, I was going to leave the bus to walk further to get another bus since I was the only passenger in it but the driver begged me to stay. I could sense his pain from the tone of his voice, I decided to just stay since I had nothing pressing in mind to do when I got to my destination. When the bus got filled eventually, the driver thanked me for waiting. It just brought tears to my eyes and inspired this write up too.

If you live in lagos, you'd know that public transport buses are ready for work as early as 3am and these buses get filled up with people who go out by that time as well. This is to say that the driver hustles and the passengers are hustling as well. After all, if you were so comfortable with your life, you won't have to deprive yourself of sleep just to get stuff done all the time. Some men earn very little and they're married with two kids, they have to do everything to make sure the family lacks nothing basic. Even the unmarried ones sometimes have siblings to cater for.
Some are hawkers and even the hawkers are in two different categories. The ones who hawk on streets and bus-stops and the ones who hawk in traffic jams. The ones in traffic jams are the ones who break my heart when I see them running to catch up with buses just to sell something as low as 50 naira, I wrote about one I witnessed that brought tears to my eyes, you can click here to read. It sometimes makes me wonder how much they actually gain from all their sales. The women who have maybe 2 or 3 kids and still sell stuff at the bus-stops or car parks too make me wonder how much they sell enough to take care of themselves and their kids especially if they don't have a man who caters for their needs.

We have the ones with the "white-collar jobs" hustling in their own way, trying to live a comfortable life. We also have the ones on the street, the "yahoo" boys, we have the guys in computer village, you need the see their hustle. We have the "runz" girls too who try to make ends meet for one reason or the other, it's all hustle. We have drug pushers, we have people who do other unimaginable things for money like robbery and rituals. Its all hustle.In the end, hustle is hustle and even the ones who make people cry in the course of their hustle still tell God to bless their hustle but I guess it's up to God to know whose hustle he needs to bless.

We have the ones who sincerely hustle without making other people cry, every hustler has a pay day like they say, some have to wait till the end of the month, some wait for years, some get paid every day, some get paid every hour and some get paid even while they sleep but in the end, we all get paid. As far as I'm concerned, let your hustle be a story you can tell your kids. It should be a story you can tell the world, it should be something worth hearing every bit of it. I know the end justifies the means but what about the other end? The one you close your eyes to just because it's quicker using another method? It's still hustle right? After all, no one cares how you got it as long as you got it.

If you ask me I'd say think! Before you start having kids you can't cater for, think! Hustle is easier as a single person unlike when you have other issues to deal with that might never make your hustle come to an end. Before you scam someone in the name of hustle, think! What if you get caught? Isn't a good name better than riches? But would a good name put food on the table? So who cares, you go ahead with it regardless, after all, we're all hustling. I could go on and on but I'd drop my pen here, assuming I'm writing with a pen though. There are lots and lots of decisions we make everyday all in our quest to be somebody in life, to at least have something to call our own. How we go about it is very important. There is no manual to achieving in life. However, how you choose to go about it doesn't matter as long as you don't have to make someone poor to get rich, as long as you don't have to make someone cry to laugh, as long as you don't have to make someone starve to get filled. Hustle positively and await your pay day.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2BC07AB1

Comments

Paul Newton said…
Awwwwww....what a diplomatic sensitive article that would make a ritualist smile for a while come he is hustlig as well Lol.

As for me Sha not all hustle are worth it nor should be permitted jare.

You said it all jooor. Oluwa abeg bless my own hustle.
Very inspiring and touchy write up...everyone hustling, like the phrase let your hustle be the story u can tell your kids...hustle positively..atimes passengers treat bus drivers and conductors as if they aren't human beings who are hustling, have a home or family as they do, irrespective of the way we hustle we should always do it with human feelings...Aanu this is thought provoking and inspiring...nice write up
Unknown said…
Now this is progress. Focused on a particular topic, people can relate to it and it has a positive moral lesson. I see your 'hustle' elevating. The sky is yours to paint any picture you want.
Unknown said…
I love this, it worth reading,our hustle gat to turn up.

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb