Skip to main content

Missing Or Dead?

I was going to title this write-up “our missing girls” but I figured you were already tired of hearing and reading about them when there has clearly been no improvement since the issue started till date. We started the” bring back our girls” campaign in different parts of the world, we wrote songs and sang them, we cried and empathised with them but still NOTHING. We wrote about them just the way I am right now but still NOTHING. We prayed for them but still NOTHING. We spoke to and against our leaders to do something about it and they said they were trying their bests but still NOTHING. We did all we could but no results, all our efforts proved abortive. I wrote about this before, you can click here to read but I’m writing about this again because of a conversation I had with a friend.

My friend Lanre who follows politics and everything related to it to the latter watched the mothers of the girls meeting with the president and how he assured them that they’d be found very soon. We can all admit that the soon isn’t soon anymore. Between then and now, we’ve had students become graduates, we’ve had women get married with a child or more, we’ve had a lot of things happen during this “soon” period. Lanre then suggested that instead of giving the nation unnecessary hope especially the mother of this girls who has probably become women by now for those that are still alive, why not declare them dead while working on it underground?
At least the women would not totally forget them but they wouldn’t be worried about how their girls are being treated. They would grieve once in a while but they would at least live their lives normally and accept their fate. If they eventually find the girls, it will be a cause to rejoice as it wasn’t expected. Giving them hope when nothing is guaranteed? I don’t think that’s fair. I don’t think it’s fair to the families of the girls, I don’t think it’s fair to us who are expectant, I don’t think it’s fair to well-wishers, it’s not just fair at all.

Yes, the truth is that the girls have not been found but then the truth is bitter and in this case the truth hurts and it hurts real badly. A Yoruba adage says “omo eni ku san ju omo eni nu lo” meaning that “one’s child is dead is better than one’s child is missing”. Both are bad, no doubt and no one will definitely pray for either but its more soothing to know that such child is gone other than thinking about a million and one possibilities of seeing the child. Sadly, not all the girls would be found and I’m sure we’re all aware of the fact that some of them are dead and we know how they died. The mothers are waiting for the children but not all would see theirs. How would they feel when the moment of truth comes?

Isn’t it better to let them live in a lie that they can deal with? Is it so hard for the government to declare them dead, after all they tell other lies that have no positive effect on our lives and now it’s suddenly time to be truthful yeah? Not even putting into consideration the feelings of the mothers especially and that of other sympathizers. These are my thoughts and of course Lanre’s as well but what do you think? Should the truth be told or should they be declared dead so that it will be easier to get over them even though we know that they can never be forgotten?


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2BC07AB1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb