Skip to main content

Why You Should Know Your Match

Love. Love is lovely especially when the partners and their families are in good health because as they say, health is wealth. Ironically, some lovers still go ahead to make certain decisions that can mar their relationship more than making it with the belief that love conquers all. I totally disagree, I think there’s an extent to which love can get to. I can do a thousand and one things for love but there is one thing I wouldn’t do, the thing which inspired this write up. I wouldn’t marry a partner who is AS if I’m AS too. I’m not going to bore us with any medical information but we all know that there are three basic genotypes-AA, AS, and SS.
We also know that AA is the boss of the genotypes while AS is selective but SS is the most fragile, people with the SS genotype are referred to as sicklers. Two people with the AS genotype are not advised to get married except it’s a same sex marriage or the couple doesn’t have plans on having children of their own. This is because the probability of both have a child with the SS genotype is way higher than having a child with other genotypes. As clear as this fact is, it still saddens my heart that some couples in the name of love, both fully aware of their genotype status still go ahead to get married with the intention of having kids.

Personally, I believe that being fully aware of one’s genotype status being AS and that of one’s partner being AS is enough to guide one towards the future of such relationship. Getting married to that partner with both eyes open is a risk I would never advise anyone to take. It is just a step towards bringing in a child to life to suffer. I’ve seen a sickle cell crisis live and it’s not something I would even wish my worst enemy if I had one. I know people who I’ve lost because their parents didn’t care about the outcome or maybe they didn’t know their genotype but it’s still sad anyway.
 A lot of people lose friends and loved ones and still go ahead to make the same mistake. The truth about it is that in the face of constant crisis as a result of a one’s child being of the sickle cell genotype, love is the last thing longed for. All the parents would want is the survival of the child, its all about the child in those kind of families. Where is the time to actually think about the love that got you into the marriage in the first place? A life is at stake and the next thing you want is being all lovey dovey? Of course not! I’m not saying there would be no love, but most of the time, it would be love for the child as a result of the child’s health condition.

I’m not going to dispute the fact that people die with or without belonging to the sickle cell genotype and I’m not also going to deny the fact that some people never get frustrated in life to the extent of it affecting their love life but everything has a limit. Sometimes you see people feel so much pain and you just wish they should die so the pain would end (if it is an incurable ailment). Again, some people do everything “by God’s grace” including taking some decisions. Yes, God heals but why get sick on purpose? Are we not supposed to take conscious steps towards having a better life and creating a much more better one for those around us and even the generation to come? These steps include making sacrifices as far as I’m concerned because you cannot get a prize without paying a price.

Speaking of sacrifices, there’s one thing that can be done when it has to do with falling in love. When you begin to like someone ‘specially’, I’d suggest that you ask that person for his or her genotype to determine how deep you want to fall in love. However, if you’re AA, you might not need to ask especially if your partner doesn’t fall sick to the extent that you might be feeling that he or she might be a sickler. Once everyone of us can do that, the chances of bringing a child into the world to suffer would be reduced to the lowest minimum. People who are even in their best health conditions still fall sick once in while, how much more a sickler? Lets put the genotype factor into consideration when falling in love so as not to endanger someone else’s life in the name of love or in the name of God. It would also save time, stress, money, heartbreak and energy.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2BC07AB1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb