Skip to main content

'Bara'

I was going to title this article “tush beggar” or “begging for a living” but I got confused and decided to title it “bara” instead. For the sake of everyone who doesn’t have an idea of what “bara” means, it means “alms” and “bara” is a Yoruba word in case you were wondering. Our major concern today isn’t the beggars that are clearly handicapped and need help because they do not know how else to go about it, it's the well dressed stranded Nigerians who stand at different bus parks claiming to have lost their wallet or that the ATM isn't working, or the mother and child who you see every evening speaking fluent english and begging for money still, or the people who have no physical disabilities but still have a bus-stop where they beg for money.

Every now and then, you see people begging for transport fares at bus parks and you just want to help them because they're so well dressed, like how could you not believe them? Besides, you feel it could happen to anyone so you'll just do what you can because it could be your turn "tomorrow". Even if you don't feel it could be your turn "tomorrow", you would probably empathise with them as you know it could be very embarrassing being in that kind of position so you end up helping them by either paying their transport fare or giving them money which is perfectly normal for someone who's human feeling is backed up by the required amount needed.

This doesn't mean that people who don't give are stingy or heartless, they're just people who have been fooled not once or twice by those people who claim to be in need, the 'tush beggars'. Their experiences have led them to remain unflinched no matter the beggar's plea because they believe there's no iota of truth in their stories. It didn't happen in one day and you would most likely stop helping all stranded persons if you helped one and you kept seeing that person on that same spot doing the same thing you saw them doing, giving the same excuses they gave the first time they approached you. The amazing part of this is that they hardly recognise some of their "helpers" while some helpers recognise them which is the beginning of "bad market" for them.
What I'm trying to understand is how someone would dress up or better still "baff up" just to beg for money. I know you can say the economy is this, the economy is that, but haba, has it gotten to that stage? Why not keep hustling when you still have both arms and legs intact and most importantly "time" because I've noticed that most of these people are young people, though not in their teens but you get the point yeah? It's not always nice faking stranded on a daily basis just to have some more money because when you do that, it means two things; you are too lazy to think of a better solution to your problems and you are not grateful. There are a million and one things you could do to at least survive even if won't put any substantial amount of money in your bank account that has less shame attached to it unlike "tush begging". Besides, when there is life, there is hope so instead of giving up hope like the handicapped people who already have their respective posts at different bus stops, you should find out other revenue generating activity you can engage in. You should be grateful that you are even alive and without physical disabilities, why not use those abilities to make money without deceiving or scamming other people who have good hearts towards helping others.

If you make it a trend, especially in Lagos, and you get caught, like if you actually get caught, the outcome won't be something you would be proud to talk about and that's if you even get to talk about it at all. For our sakes, let's leave the act of begging to people who have been at it, people that are handicapped and the extremely old people who believe that's the best way to go about their survival while those who are still energised and without physical disabilities should figure out another form of hustle because faking stranded is a scam.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2BC07AB1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb