Skip to main content

The Devil You Know versus The Angel You Barely Know

“Babes, Kunle is better abeg. At least you went to the same school, served together and even work close to each other, what more do you want?”, “You don’t understand, the other day he slapped me just because I walked out on him, can you take that? Because you are talking rubbish now, see if I get someone else, I won’t even think twice about it, I just want to be happy”, Bella replied. “I understand babe, but it’s not always about getting someone new, you can’t just be running away from every relationship challenge, you gotta face it” Sisi said. “Abeg abeg, let Joshua slap you three times consecutively and tell me how you would feel” Bella said. “I won’t still leave him, do you know how long we’ve known each other for, what we’ve been through together, I can’t start meeting or getting to know someone new, it’s too much work besides I already know Josh inside and out, it’s easy for me to deal with him but someone new, I no dey for that one”.

A lot of us are like Bella, some are like Sisi, some are a mixture of both regardless of gender. A lot of us believe meeting someone new, trying to get to know them and trying to get them to know us is a lot of work and truthfully, it is. There’s nothing like having someone who knows you inside and out, who knows how you eat, sleep, talk, and even your thoughts without telling them these things. It’s the height we all want to attain in someone’s life but then, it still doesn’t change people’s actions, it doesn’t mean you’ll be treated like gold because you think you should be treated as such. It doesn’t mean it’ll be a fairytale relationship, life isn't that kind but again, it's not how far but how well and in this case, it's not how long you've known each other for,it's how well you know and can deal with each other.
If you're with someone that isn't making you happy the way you deserve or you think you deserve, it might be time to give someone new the opportunity. This is only when you are already happy with yourself because if you're not happy alone, you can't be happy with someone else. When you strongly feel the need to change your partner, it's advisable to not put into consideration how long you've known each other for though it's hard not to but the crazy thing about putting the length of time into consideration is that it drags you back into the relationship when you almost have both legs out. I understand that you can't even be so sure of the person you might meet next but you can't also be sure that your partner would treat you as you deserve. This is why a lot of people though in a relationship with someone still create room for someone else "just incase...". This isn't the same as double-dating, it's just what people do when they aren't sure of whether to stay with the devil they know or to move on to the angel they don't know. The new person might just be "the one". You might find the true happiness with the angel. This is because the devil hasn't been able to make you truly happy despite the duration, it's not going to happen soon, if it was going to happen, it should have. 

Meeting someone new isn't a bad idea if you think twice about it. Its actually exciting, it's a fresh start for you both. From your differences to your similarities to a lot other things and no, it's not boring at all. How happy you would be during the knowing process would surprise even if it turns out the person isn't "the one" material. My point is, don't remain in a relationship that brings more tears than laughter, more sadness than happiness in the name of the person been the devil you know as being better than the angel you barely know. This applies strictly to unmarried people not married couples, marriage is a different ball game. Finding true happiness in a partner as an unmarried person would definitely lead to a happy union, not a fairytale marriage but one with more smiles than tears. This isn't to mean that we should leave our partners when any misunderstanding comes up as there's no relationship without its own issues but when you feel it has gotten to a stage where you can't deal, feel free to go out there to explore your options. If anything should hold you back from doing that, it shouldn't be the consideration of the length of time you both have known each other for, that's no excuse to not find true happiness in others.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2BC07AB1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb