Skip to main content

The Diary Of A Loner - Hey Jay

*takes a gulp of vodka* I don't mean to start this diary with a drink but I figured that's the best way to be both dull and active at the same time if you know what I mean. No, I'm not a drunk by default but every now and then, I love "getting high" and no, I'm not a junkie either but I love taking a drag every now and then. I love sex and no, I'm not a sex addict, I just love the "connection" attached to it. Now that you know what I love, I guess that's a good start. I should tell you my name already but since I didn't start formally, I figured I could mention it at any point as we go on. Okay, let me just mention it now because I can see the look on your faces. Should I tell you my English or Nigerian name? Errrrr, okay let's do Nigerian. My name is or my names are (depending on the one you think is right, I'm too drunk to think about that now)..... I noticed I've not specified my gender in any of my previous statements so I'm beginning to consider changing my gender, should I or should I not? Would it have a different outcome or would it be same? Maybe I shouldn't lie about my gender in this or maybe not. That, I'd decide later. So I was going to tell you my name, my name is (I finally chose this one) Ayo Jack.

Some people call me Jack but I think that's pretty weird for a female (if I'm one), a lot others call me AJ. You can call me whichever one you choose, I don't mind. Okay, I'm bored. I'm the second son of my parents. My parents are based in UK, they don't like Nigeria the way I do. I have most of my customers here so I can't even afford to be away from here (Nigeria) for too long. Ohh you're probably wondering which customers I'm referring to, I have a clothing line hence customers. I'm the boss so I don't always have to be there present, I just have to stay in touch with valuable customers once in a while to keep enjoying their never ending patronage and referrals. I even meet with some of them sometimes due to our end of the year parties we hold every year. I forgot to mention that my clothing line is called "Hey Jay", my best-friend suggested the name many years ago and I thought it was stylish so I decided to use it.

I'm a guy and that's my real gender (according to my definition of real). I live alone in a 3-bedroom apartment, my father's house. I have three siblings and all are married. I'm in my early thirties but marriage isn't really my thing, I rarely give it a thought unless on few occasions when my parents try to talk the idea into me and even try to introduce me to their friends' unmarried kids but naaaa, that's not my thing either. The last one I gave a try wasn't a good experience or at least, not one I would love to repeat. Her name was Toun, the sexiest girl I had ever met aside Grace (we'd talk about Grace later). When mum talked to me about Toun, she sounded sure that I would like her because she was extremely beautiful and had good manners, what else did a man want? So I obliged and became friends with Toun.

Toun was just perfect (physically though). She was gorgeous, tall, dark, and she had the "coke-bottle" kind of body. To crown it all, she had dimples and I love dimples. Dimples was what attracted me to Grace but Grace's story can wait. Okay I liked Toun just the way mum envisaged but Toun was too clingy and soft (I don't know if that's a turn off for other guys though). She just couldn't do anything without AJ. We were living together at some point because she couldn't be without me, the only time we spent apart was when we were both at work and annoyingly, we didn't work far apart so she came to my office at will and most times, without calling me first. I don't like surprise visits from anyone but I can let it slide once or twice. When it becomes a norm, I get irritated with my guest. I don't care if you live across my house, just call me first, always call me or text me first except if you have no mobile phone or airtime and I know no such person without either. Toun would never call before visiting. Even when we began living together, she would still come to my workplace unannounced, I couldn't deal with that. That's the clingy part.

For the soft part, Toun never gave me any form of trouble, she was too easy, did everything as instructed like a puppy. Even when I was wrong, she'd still be the one to apologize instead of it being the other way around. It wasn't any fun for me, I mean, where's the challenge? As much as I don't like difficult people, I wanted a woman that would be stubborn to an extent, that kind of "good" stubborn if you know what I mean. Well, that was how Toun's chapter ended. I just couldn't deal with that.

Grace Grace *smiles sheepishly and sadly at the same time* do I even want to talk about Grace now? Errrrr, I think not. Not talking about Grace seems to be an impossible feat so here we go. Grace was graceful (can you see what I did there, *winks*). Okay. Grace was the only woman that swept me off my feet 100 percent. She had it all - the good, the bad and the crazy. She was stubborn in a sexy way. Everything about her was sexy, her walk, her talk, her anger, her eating, her outfits, her trouble-making, I can't even mention it all because the memories are rushing in and it's likely going to do more harm than good. Grace was a great cook too, she could cook anything and I mean anything. From continental to inter-continental to local dishes and so forth and you know how they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, she got my heart without struggling for it. You're probably wondering how it ended if it was as sweet as I'm making it sound. Bad things don't last and good things don't last too or so they say. She had to go to the UK for her masters and she never came back, we communicated regularly for almost a year until she became too "busy" for me. On a norm, no matter how busy she was, she could turn on the cam so I could see everything, she would always say "I've spoilt you, you can't even stay one minute without me" and we'd laugh it off. I realised she had spoilt me when I noticed her gradual withdrawal from "us". I even tried teasing her by saying "ehn Shebi you spoilt me, come spoil me more" and we'd laugh it off until one day she replied saying "Ayo, I can't afford to anymore". She never calls me Ayo so I knew she was serious, it was either hey or heys (in the agbero way).

I couldn't believe my ears, I asked "what do you mean you can't afford to anymore?" to which she replied by showing me her left hand displaying an engagement ring. I was dumb struck, I didn't realise tears had started rolling down my eyes slowly. I had to ask "how did this happen?" to which she replied "it just happened" showing no form of remorse. "I'd talk to you later Ayo, I have some things to attend to" was the next response I got and that was the last I heard from her. It was like a joke, she changed her phone numbers and blocked me on social media. I called all our mutual friends, some didn't even know she was in UK talk less of knowing how to contact her. I skipped work for almost a month, drinking my self to death almost every night, everyone was worried about me except me. My personal assistant wouldn't let me be alone for fear that I might do something crazy, she would always drag me out to some fun place and even sleep over sometimes. During one of her sleep overs, we did "it" and that was my first step to sanity. She became my side chic though I didn't have a main one. I began to heal...slowly. I could never forget Grace, my lover and best-friend but I could pretend to.



Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Instagram - @i_am_phleg
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2BC07AB1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb