Skip to main content

Communication In Relationships

What is wrong with people? What is wrong with marriages? Is it the people or the concept of marriage itself? I’m not married so I can’t say which is which but I guess I would truly know if I decide to walk down that road. You read and hear some stories and you’re ‘awwwwww-ing’, before you know it, you’re hearing something elsewhere and you’re ‘nawa-ing’. I don’t understand really. Recently, I read about the woman who moved out of her husband’s house just two months after they got married. It got me wondering why? When did communication become so difficult?


As if that wasn’t bad enough, I read about the bride who didn’t show up on her wedding day and it got me thinking about what could have possibly happened to warrant that, last minute discovery maybe. I wrote the first few lines of this article some time ago then I got stuck. What inspired me to keep writing this was what I read today about a woman. She made it known publicly that if her husband begins to not take his looks very seriously, she would cheat on him.


It sounded funny and ridiculous at the same time, I mean, someone is already planning to cheat. She said her dad was almost not taking his looks seriously and her mum didn’t like it so she (her mum) complained and her dad started hitting the gym and he still does till date. Who doesn’t want a sexy man who’s fit and good-looking? I don’t see anyone raising their hands. To be honest, we cannot all have that. Some of us would have it, some would have ‘almost it’ and some would have nothing close to it. 




When did a man’s physique become a criterion for cheating? I didn’t say marriage because in this case, they were already married. We have men with great bodies that are not great husbands and we have men without ‘not too bad’ bodies who are great husbands. My point, great bodies don’t necessarily mean great husbands. Again, people grow; they get busy and are not too available to do the things they used to, not because they can’t but because there’s no time too. If a man spends all his time trying to look fit, the six packs bla bla, what time would he have to make money? (Just saying though, some people still try regardless)



Just the same way beauty in females isn’t a criterion for choosing a partner, that’s the same way it should not be a criteria for staying in a marriage. This is just my personal opinion hence it’s not binding. I don’t think any woman who considers herself wife material would go into a marriage with the intention of cheating later if the man’s body gets ugly. Wedding vows mean nothing now? A journey of a lifetime one wants to end for the love of sexual experience from another man, o ga o!


Apparently, some people are not just ready for the journey of marriage. It’s not about how much time you don’t have on your side, it’s about if you’re ready to stick with one partner through thick and thin, sexy-ness and unsexy-ness. As long as there’s love, respect, comfort, whatever other quality needed in a great marriage, I think that’s all. This is not to mean that married people shouldn’t make individual efforts towards looking great for their partners. If you don’t look good for your partner, who will? I mean, you should smell good, dress well and shed some weight if you can, if you can’t, your partner should be able to love you in your imperfection.







I was going to end this story here when I remembered the 83 day old marriage between a 70 year old man and an 85 year old man that just got dissolved because the man felt the woman didn’t respect him enough. This is proof that it doesn’t always go wrong with young adults alone, even older people experience these things. What then do we do? Is walking away always the answer? How about some dialogue? No?



Okay I’m done. My point? Communication is key. Walking away should be the last resort. Get married when you’re ready to stop flirting among other things you should be ready for. Look for other virtues in a person other than the obvious (looks) and if you find someone who has both, good for you. No one is perfect hence tolerance is needed when necessary.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Instagram - @i_am_phleg
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2BC07AB1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb