Skip to main content

Unforgettable August by Newton Paul

This true life event could open the eyes of a young person out there.

August!!! The month I have the weirdest flashback about my naive former self.
*IK* had a humongous crush on me, it was so heavy on my fragile teenage shoulders I allowed her crush crash on my dead interest.

Years later, my hunt on trying to get a girl  didn't yield, I figured out I had a crusher  somewhere so I decided to visit the Ancient City of Benin Kingdom to check out my guys,  sooner than later I visited her. On getting there, Lordy Lord!!! My ones rejected crush caught my senses. All her awkward shaped contours became perfectly carved and curved.

I nervously poured out my intentions and emotions to her. She didn't give me a direct  answer instead she invited me for her school  send forth party which fell on her  birthday...of course I agreed to be there.

Dressed so fly and high I felt on my arrival to the party venue. After several delay, I started doubting I was at the right venue until she showed up in slow motion as people rang her name from left and right contacting her sultry personnel. The ones rejected turned out to be the hottest chick in her school.
My head tore into pieces on seeing this, meanwhile I didn't mention I stopped over at a gift shop to get her a lovely present hoping it'd pave a way back to that heart I once shattered.

I approached her and gave her a hug, gosh I still remember how well her fragrance beat my nose...she told me "wait out here I'd be back"

I obeyed like a dog to his master. 30minutes of waiting no show, I then decided to sort after her.
 
I entered the dance hall at the basement, the music was loudddd...searching for my so called girl, I saw a dude seriously rocking her from behind..."wtf!!!!"

I approached them both, surprisingly; the guy gave way for me. Right on the control steering of her waist I couldn't drive... Never partied, rocked a girl before meanwhile she swayed left and right ‘twerking’ yet I was flopping then she noticed the captain lacked experience.

"Go dance with someone else" she shouted to penetrate the loud soundtrack.
Still like a dog, I obeyed while the other dude continued from where I left off...I watched the crowd enjoyed themselves. Beside me was a chick that was in same shoes with me...I decided to cheer us up with a dance but she declined. 

"I don't know how to dance" she said

"Watch and follow me" I replied.

After one minute of my boring lead she gave up. A dude came and asked her for a dance, I told him "we together, she's tired"

"Are you with him" he asked her

"No!!!" She responded.

His disdain looks drove me off in search of a comfortable ground. I went upstairs to the eatery.

While sitting alone a light voice came from nowhere "can I join you?"

I didn't even reply because at that point I was burnt.

It happened to be a girl I didn’t know. We got engaged in a conversation and I opened up my current situation. She suggested we could run revenge by storming the dance floor that I don’t need to make a move; she'd do the entire job.

I declined...we still got talking then she  started opening up some real secrets of her  life....real dark, scary, spiritual thingy that  got me goose bombs not bumps.

After a long hour of conversation, my crush *IK* then came to tell me she was leaving...like seriously.

"I barely spent time with you and you leaving?"  I revolted

"You having fun aren't you, I can't stay anymore" she claimed.

"I got a gift for you" I gave her the gift bag.

She tore it open; with a straight unexcited face she asked "what is this?"

"A dairy" I replied.

"Thank you" her thanks had a million rejections.

"IK what's delaying you" a fresh female voice from the background called.

You won't believe it, it was Emmanuella my junior secondary crush who left to another school in JSS2. I remember her finishing my expensive poster color...I permitted it mhen because I was stuck on her. Mama nearly ate me raw back then.

What a small world, we exchanged pleasantries while IK left the scene. Emmanuella followed the scene exit leaving me with this weird supernatural babe.

I had to draw a conclusion and left.

On my way home, I couldn't find my feet; I walked without direction replaying all that happened. As I was about getting into a taxi, a heavy tap landed on my shoulders, I turned it was a soldier. He claimed I stepped on his Oga's foot without apologizing.

This time was few minute to 7pm, just few minutes to when Okada stop moving at that time in Benin meanwhile my aunt’s house could only be accessed by an Okada.

I was madly stuck with him for hours, one thing  lead to another, my phone security locked my  phone permanently hindering me from making  calls, I felt kidnapped, started thinking of  how boys were been raped or butchered, c’mon it’s the Ancient City of Benin we talking about for Christ’s sake.

Finally, this so called Soldier man mysteriously got a bike and dropped me off...OH no!!! The wolves (dogs) were set loose in the compound. We didn't know each other so how will I get in.

My cousin came and opened the gate, surprisingly, like they knew how bad my day was, the dogs sympathized with me by behaving normal.

I got in and decided to look at the digital camera I borrowed from my cousin to take IK’s picture.

The lens was broken.

It seemed that weirdo supernatural girl placed a curse on me or maybe it’s just bitchy Karma playing my life like a video game.

Did I learn from this lesson, as at that time not much; because another event happened again and again and again.

Take Home Lesson: Crush if not properly handled crashes. Sometimes you save yourself emotional instability and preserve yourself worth when you stick your balls to your lane.
Other times, noting down your mistakes makes you two times wiser because men who haven't made mistakes haven't tried anything new.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Instagram - @i_am_phleg
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2BC07AB1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb