Skip to main content

The Rant - My Bad Habit



Hunny bunnies of OTTH, we hope you enjoyed the first episode of 'the rant', if you didn't read it, get in here to read it so you'll know what you've been missing. Enjoy this episode.

"This bad habit of yours ehn, I pray it won't kill you" majority of them told me, "Abegi, leave us" was my usual response and we laughed about it. Last year when Toke called to say "I thought you said Shina was in Warri for a conference", "Yes na, what happened?" I asked. "I just saw him here in Surulere" She said, "Haba, it can't be him, I saw him off to the airport, and I watched him leave" I said with a lot of confidence. "Hmmm, I go love oh" she said which was not new; she said it from time to time. "Okay, take a picture of him" I said to avoid making her feel like she just wasted her time informing me. "Picture ke, did I tell you I was following him up and down, I just saw he and one tall slim thing doing PDA and I made sure he didn't see me" She concluded. Speaking of the devil, your call was waiting while I talked with Toke. "Babe, let me call you back, BH is calling me" I said dismissing her, "Okay oh, just be careful, remember what happened the last time with Paul, you have to be smart honey" She said and the called ended. I called you my bad habit because you were the only thing people warned me about, you were the thing they wanted me to stop doing.

"Hello" I said as soon as I noticed you had picked the call, "how's my baby doing this afternoon?" was your response and it melted away all the doubts that was beginning to creep in. "I'm fine love, where are you?" I asked to confirm, "I just finished a session now, I'm about to start another" That wasn't the exact answer I needed, I needed a location not asking what you were doing or about to do but I decided to stop my questioning there and loved you still. I called Toke back to tell her how our conversation went "He said he just finished a session, they're about to start another, Toke I trust Shina, he won't want to do that, not after everything I've done for him" I said. "A session of what?" Toke asked, "Of what he went there for" I said. "A session of a conference ehn?" Toke said, "I guess so" I answered though I had begun to realise how ridiculous I sounded. "Babe, don't be stupid, he just finished with a love making session and was about to start another, you're here talking rubbish, what's the conference called sef, let me google it" she said. "Eagles flight" I responded still trying to take in the few words she said. "Stay on the line, let me Google it for you since you’ve decided not to use the internet as you should" She said, I could hear her hands busy. "Seen it?" I asked, "What I saw here ehn, let me send it to you, it’s too plenty to talk about, let me know what you think by then, maybe then, you'll realise that Shina is doing shina" she said.

My heart had begun to beat fast now and I was speechless at the same time though I hadn't gotten what Toke was sending. I got it in no time and realised it was an international program that took place in 1957. I called Shina immediately to ask why he lied about going for a 2016 program that already took place in 1957. "I'm sorry babe, I was going to tell you but I wanted to keep it a surprise, I was planning an engagement party for us, I just got the ring" he said. I began to blush stupidly; you had my mumu button and used it as you wished. I called Toke to share the good news "Kai, how can you be so stupid to believe that" she said, I defended you still.


You came back later that night and presented me with the most beautiful ring I had seen, maybe it wasn't but I was just blinded by the love I had for you. We made love like never before that night; I still remember how slowly you took off my clothes, kissed my body and came into me. I shared the pictures on social media and I was congratulated by all. I even called my mum, "is it that same boy?" she asked, "Yes mummy" I said, she hissed. "Mummy now..." I said to which she responded "I told you I didn't like that boy, he looks unserious, I just hope you know what you're doing because you'll be the one in it, you're too old for me to make such decisions for you, I'll only say my own as a mother".

I believed you were worth the pain, the pain of not having my mum and best friend’s support in our love. I remember giving you my life savings for an important project, not knowing it was for your wedding plans with some chic. That was why you travelled, to meet her parents. It was beginning to make sense. Thank God for the internet. It was funny when Chuks messaged me on Facebook asking what happened between us, I was a bit startled by the question. "What happened how?" I asked, "Shina just got married today and I thought the bride should have been you not some girl" he said. "Who's Shina?" I asked to be sure he was talking about my own sweet, harmless Shina, my own addiction, my bad habit, my cake biscuit, my honey pot, my world. "Shina Ojo, the one you got engaged to" he said, I was shocked so I ended the call immediately.

I buried my face in my pillow and cried for God knows how long. I used the last of my strength to call Toke. Everything just became clear to me; the scales had fallen from my eyes. "What are you doing tonight?" I asked her, trying not to sound the way I was feeling, "Errr, one party like that, Bimpe invited me but you don't like parties na" she said. "I'm coming now, help me look for something nice to wear" I said, "Are you okay babe, you've never wanted to party, what changed?" she asked. I couldn't start talking so I ended the call and headed straight to her place. How long I cried hugging her, I still don't know but she knew. She knew it was only you that could make me that emotional. She knew it was only you that I loved the way I loved you. She knew it all then and she wanted me to know. I was so stupid.

You didn't even have the nerve to say goodbye. You just left, taking all of me with you. It's fine now though, you already split with your wife and I found someone to love me even with my emptiness, I'm happy now, even happier that I wasn't the wife you split up with, I'm happy you broke my heart at the time you did, I'm happy about how I finally recovered. "Maybe Shina finally shina" Toke said. I can finally laugh.

Shina had indeed shina.

Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Instagram - @i_am_phleg
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2BC07AB1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb