Skip to main content

#NoGrudge Now And Forever

Toke Makinwa has never been one of my favorite celebrities but I was curious to reading her book "on becoming" and when I did, to say I was inspired by it would be an understatement but that's not what I'm here to talk about. One of the parts of the book that moved me was when she explained how the two house helps her family had kept grudges with each other which led to one not telling the other that the cooking gas was faulty which eventually led to the house being burnt which in turn led to the death of the maids and her parents therefore marking the beginning of a new journey for her. That's why I'm here.

Keeping grudges is something I try not to do though I would admit that I have kept grudges at different points in my life but in the end, is it worth dying for? Of course not. When Mama Dayo died (may her soul rest in peace), you'd think Mummy Bolu was her best friend because she cried the most. Did I say cried? It was more like wailing but the funny thing was that a lot of people begged Mummy Bolu to visit Mama Dayo while she was in the hospital, she refused. Only death ended the grudge they both had and there she was crying like never before so I assumed the pain of not reconciling with Mama Dayo before her death was what hurt her more that the pain of her death itself.


Again, I wonder, is it worth it still? I've come to realise, though I've always known that life is too short so why not try to live "peaceably" with all men? I know not everyone will like everyone for good/bad reasons or no reasons at all but can you at least try to be on good terms? Would you rather let someone die before realising that the grudge wasn't worth it or be dead instead? I mean, I don't know, it just hurts so much that a lot of us blow things out of proportion. You hear a lot of people vowing not to speak to one another until death.

It's even funnier that some members of the same family don't speak to each other not because they've not had the opportunity, reason or means to but because they've internally or externally vowed not to. If blood related people can't speak with each other, how much more people who aren't, colleagues, friends or 'frenemies'? The list is endless.
The truth is, people will always hurt you in a lot of ways knowingly or unknowingly and you will hurt a lot of people too in the same vain if we want to be really honest with ourselves but does it stop the sun from shining? Of course not. Neither does it stop things from taking their normal course, the only thing that changes is you who's keeping it and maybe the person you're keeping it with (if the person is aware that is). "Hatred hurts the hater than the hated" was a quote I stumbled upon many years ago and it never stops ringing in my head. I'm not going to start talking about hating, bitterness and all of that but I'd like you to always remember that shit happens, it's part of what makes life dramatic.

It's okay to reduce your interactions with an individual as a result of a bad experience but grudges should be a no no because it hinders you in a lot of ways - spiritually, physically, emotionally, mentally, educationally, financially - I could go on and on. If you've been keeping grudges or considering doing so, please don't and I'll assume you already know why at this point. Be the bigger person, break the ice, say hello first, it won't kill you. Let sleeping dogs lie, infact, let the dogs be in a coma they won't come out from so that your interaction with other humans can be meaningful and your growth won't be hindered as well.

Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Instagram - @i_am_phleg
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2BC07AB1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb