Skip to main content

Yo Fam!


Family = FAM, I Love You (lol, I know how that sounds too). So let’s get to it, what does it mean to be fam? These days, you see people say ‘happy birthday fam’, ‘what’s up fam’ and all other fam-related sentences. After much observation, I’ve decided to define fam as someone who is either blood related or non-blood related who you share a lot with, trust, fight with and for, and very loyal to.

Who can be fam?

Being fam isn’t a gender thing, anyone can be fam. Your girlfriend or boyfriend can be fam only if you have mutual friends and they get along well with your blood relations. Your blood related family can be fam provided they have the fam qualities which being blood isn’t one of.
  


Basic fam rules

   v Always make sure that the person you consider fam thinks you’re fam too. It shouldn’t be one-sided.
  v You should be able to insult (yab) fam without them taking offense. However, never insult fam during an argument or a fight. Insults should only be playful.
  v You should never think of fam in a sexual way except fam is bae otherwise you shouldn’t.
  v Do not date fam except if you were dating the person before they became fam. If a person is fam first, don’t date. You may lose your fam-ness if things don’t work out.
  v Do not join hands with an outsider to scam fam, that’s disloyal. You may be de-fammed if you do.
  v Always consider a fam’s blood fam yours and treat them as such. This includes not dating fam’s fam.
  v Appreciate fam at least once a month, let them know how much they mean to you and how grateful you are to have them.
  v Never ask fam for nudes.
  v Never crush on fam’s crush except you were crushing before fam became fam. In this case, you were the first crusher.
  v Never hit fam except in self-defence.
  v Be supportive to fam’s goals and if you can’t, let them know why.
  v Always tell fam the truth except fam doesn’t like hearing it in which case they should be de-fammed.
  v Stop giving relationship advice to any fam who won’t take it.
  v Never let fam see you nude except fam is of the same sex.
  v Lend money to only fam you know has a source of income.
  v Never scam fam and if you do, let them know immediately but don’t do it when they’re broke.
  v If a fam’s clothes, accessories, shoes, etc. look better on you than on them, it’s okay to make it yours and if they won’t let you, steal it and let them know immediately after you do.
  v Never let fam always pay the bills unless you’re very poor and fam is very rich or they really don’t mind paying.
  v Always remember fam’s birthday and if you forget before the day, don’t ask them for it, ask a mutual friend.
  v If you have any negative information on who fam is about to date, let them know before the relationship starts.
  v Don’t eat fam’s last meat/fish/egg etc unless you’re trying to get yourself killed or they really won’t mind.
  v When fam falls asleep on the couch, its okay to leave them there except they’re sick or pregnant.
  v When two fams have a disagreement, try to settle it as soon as possible. If your intervention fails, be cool with both but don’t take sides.
  v Let fam always know where you are even if no one else knows, it might save your life when in trouble.
  v  If there’s a breakup between you and bae who has become fam, it’s okay to de-fam them.
  


That’s all for now. We’ll let you know if there are more rules and if you do have any, do no hesitate to add them in the comment box.
 


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Instagram - @i_am_phleg
Twitter - @odusolar
BBM - 2BC07AB1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb