Skip to main content

Nawa Or Not



Yesterday, I lost my last chill and I’ll tell you why, maybe not the full story but I’ll make sure you understand where I’m coming from and where I’m going to. I’m one of the people who believe Nigeria is great and can be better, no need to run abroad and stuff. I’m not taking it back but I don’t blame those who run abroad and this is why I’m here. I schooled in Benin Republic, most of you know that already and some people upon knowing ask why I went there. I give them the same answer “we had a family friend there, that’s why” which is actually the truth but if I had tasted schooling in a federal school at the time, I’d probably still choose little Cotonou over my beloved country anytime.

See, I don’t think people should go through hell because they’re trying to get educated, I mean, they’re spending their money, time and energy already, can you just support at least? I don’t know how schooling in the real abroad felt like for those who schooled there but schooling in Cotonou made me feel like life could be easy. Yes, lecturers still made you do test when you were least expecting, they called classes on Sundays sometimes and gave you small trouble based on their Nigerian brain but its nothing compared to what Nigerians who can’t afford private schools face.

Now I don’t know how schooling in a public tertiary institution is in Nigeria is but I hear it’s like hell starting from the excessive crowd to the lecturers who feel like they’re gods etc, prove me wrong though if I am. You ask a question and due to the craze in our head, people respond like they want to pass all the frustration in their lives to you, you need to submit a form but the queue is almost longer than forever, toilets are so badly taken care of that you barely want to use it, the list is endless.
We will never move forward educationally if we cannot put certain things in place.

Stop feeling like a god; lecturers need to know that they’re not doing you a favour by lecturing, they’re doing their jobs and as the student, you’re obliged to listen or waste you or your parent’s money by risking failure.
Apologize when things can’t work; as a lecturer, if you can’t make it to class and you’ve known ahead of time, tell the students as soon as you find out. They might be your students but they also have their lives to live, they have plans so let them adjust. If there’s an issue with a course, the school should let the students know so they’ll know its general, if anything can’t go according to plan, let people know, don’t leave them to assume, isn’t that what your notice boards are for?

Don’t be a stumbling block to someone; I’ve heard cases where lecturers vow that a student will never graduate then that one starts dry fasting and prayer so the lecturer could die or be replaced. I mean, is it ever that serious, just do your job really, those who won’t turn out well still won’t turn out well no matter what you do.


Facebook - Odusola Aanuoluwapo
Instagram - @i_am_phleg
Twitter - @odusolar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Marriage Story...So Far

I get to be asked about how marriage has been a lot by some of my unmarried friends. I’ve not even been married for long enough to be qualified to answer that question. From my little experience, marriage, like any other phase in life isn’t all smooth. It has its ups and downs. There’s an extra respect you get as soon as you get married. I get to be called MA a lot by people who wouldn’t ordinarily call me that and I’m wondering why. I guess it’s just the way the society has made it. Oh and I lost some friends as soon as I got the MRS title. Some people don’t care about how serious your relationship is, they’d still be on your ‘case’ but as soon as you say “I do”, they’d forget you like you never existed. This was good and bad for me because I considered some to be great friends but then, I guess I was wrong. Then there’s the pressure to get pregnant, I got lucky to get pregnant earlier than I thought though I wasn’t even ready. But before my body began announcing it, I still

Dunsin's Kitchen - Second Year Anniversary

I’m not a fan of long WhatsApp posts hence the need to write, post and just share the link on one WhatsApp/Instagram post. I’m a bit rusty (writing-wise) sha but I’ll try. I want to talk about how Dunsin’s Kitchen (DK) started because it’s our second anniversary today. I never imagined being a cook at this time, not with banking and family stress. I’ve imagined selling food a couple of times and it was inspired by one boli and beans seller in Asaba during my NYSC in 2014. I told my friend Osaru then that I’d love to start a place like that and call it Boli Kitchen. We just used to laugh about it then plus I’m not really a fan of beans though I could cook it well if I wanted to. Fast forward to 2020, we had a guest- my husband’s colleague who I served jollof rice and she kept talking about how good it was. One day, she said she would love to buy if I could make it for her so I agreed. Then I decided to ask others if they’d like to buy so I wouldn’t be making a small portion and some agr

Making Your Death Profitable

I read a thread on twitter recently about women whose husbands die and the in-laws take over everything their husband owned and it got me thinking about a lot of things. That is actually the reality in a lot of homes in Nigeria. Husband dies, his family takes over stuff without considering how his wife will cater for the kids. Sometimes, they might even kill the man to get his properties and take over everything including his wife. It’s really sad that people can be so wicked and inconsiderate which is why we need to take some steps to prevent our loved ones from suffering after our demise. It’s very important for a woman to work and have her own investments in different places no matter how rich your husband is. I’ve seen women who become maids after their very rich husband dies and there’s nothing left for them. While you can’t stop any in-law from claiming whatever, you can build yourself up financially so that you won’t be affected financially when death happens to your husb